Designed by the renowned architects Knox & Elliot and built in 1891, The Blake House is one of the last standing heritage structures in Toronto mixing late 19th century Victorian and Second Empire architecture. Its first owner the Honourable Edward Blake was the second premier of Ontario and leader of the federal liberal party between 1878-1887 . He was also the founder of the law firm known today as Blake, Cassels & Graydon. At that time, Jarvis street was a tree lined boulevard of stately mansions as displayed on our wall stencils and pictures. Leading Canadian families such as the Cawthras, Masseys, and Gooderhams were among Blake's neighbours. The home remained in the Blake family until 1917.
Since then, the home went through several owners as the street led way for high density projects. In the 60's, The Blake House was transformed to the Celebrity Club, an exclusive supper club. Shortly after it became the legendary Red Lion Pub. The famous British cartoonist Ben Wicks also occupied the second floor for many years in the 90's.
Today, Jarvis Street has undergone gentrification. Old homes have been restored to their past glory while new high rise developments have added a contemporary edge. In the same vein, The Blake House has undergone an extensive renovation and invites you to take in the history while sitting on our sunny patio having a local pint or inside by the original wood burning fireplace sipping some wine. valentines POSTER 2012.pdf
449 Jarvis St., Toronto | (416) 975-1867 | email@example.com